The research team at dating site POF analyzes their user data to determine which singles on their site get the most interest from other POF members.
Free dating website Plenty Of Fish asked their Ph.D. research team to synthesize data from over 81,000 of their user profiles and 1.8 million messages to discover the leading indicators that determine which heterosexual singles are more or less likely to be contacted by another POF member.
For the purposes of their research, they focused on U.S. men and women between the ages of 25 and 35 years old. All users had been members of the site for at least one week and according to POF, the findings were based on the messaging behavior of tens of thousands of real American singles sending millions of messages on the site.
Here’s what they discovered:
Women are no longer interested in the bad boy who doesn’t want to settle down, and men are increasingly seeking out educated women who are financially independent. But to a large degree, male and female attractions still follow traditional gender roles. Women still place high importance on a man’s income and men still give precedence to a woman’s age and body size.
Other key findings from the POF study:
- Women between the ages of 25 and 26, receive 14.4 percent more messages. Women who are 33 years old receive the fewest number of messages
- Women who are Catholic receive 20 percent more messages
- Men who earn between $100,000 and $150,000 a year receive 42 percent more messages
- Men who want children receive 23 percent more messages
- Those who “Prefer Not to Say” if they want children receive 21 percent fewer messages, and those who “Don’t want children” receive 42 percent fewer messages
*compared to the average user on the site within the sample group
Other details from the study:
Women who have a graduate degree receive 6.45 percent more messages. Women who only have a high school diploma receive 10 percent fewer messages.
Women who drink receive 4.4 percent more messages. Women who don’t drink receive 24 percent fewer messages.
Women who describe themselves as “thin” receive 41 percent more messages than the average user.
Women who have been in a relationship for less than one year receive 31 percent fewer messages.
And for men:
Men who make between $100,000 and $150,000 per year receive 42 percent more messages.
Men who want a relationship receive 38 percent more messages. Men who are looking for something casual receive 52 percent fewer messages.
Christian men receive 20 percent more messages.
Men who have a doctorate receive 33 percent more messages.
Men who have brown hair receive 20 percent more messages.
POF then put the most desirable traits into one woman and to one man to create the perfect online profile:
- 25 years old
- Post-secondary degree
- Dog Owner
- Has been in a relationship for at least 3 years but not longer than 8 years
- Drinks Often or Socially
- Doctorate Degree
- Wants a Relationship
- Makes between $100,000 and $150,000
- Brown Hair
- Athletic build