There’s no place like home for a savvy single – the home we create with no need to compromise.
One of the great things about being single is being able to create a home environment that’s exactly the way we want it. Fuchsia walls – why not? A safari motif – no one will stop you.
CB2 product manager Judy Miller says that when decking out your personal pad, your home should be the ultimate reflection of your lifestyle — for hosting, entertaining, or just to lounge in perfect solitude.
“Decorating can be a bit daunting for some, but the key is to have fun with it,” Miller says. “Choose items that are not only practical, but also express your personality, style and sense of humor.”
Miller says that modern items can quickly give your place an up-to-date vibe and don’t be afraid of color. “You don’t need to break out the paintbrush,” she says. “Just a few accessories will do wonders.”
Here are more tips from Miller for ways to create your ideal singular nest:
- Sometimes the smallest upgrades can make a huge difference in updating your home. In the kitchen and/or dining room area, invest in a set of nice placemats and complimentary cloth napkins — no more paper napkins! If you’re still using hand me down mix-matched bowls and plates from your college years, a simple white set will do wonders, but don’t be afraid to mix shapes and textures.
- Impress your guests with a neatly stocked bar and accessories. Add a modern twist to typical wine glasses by selecting some with a short pedestal stem and organize your libations to create your own personal bar.
- Accessorizing with a pop of bright color is another fast, easy way to breathe new life into your place. Pillows are a great start, especially if you’re not sure what colors work for you. For a slightly larger statement, a fun area rug can tie a space together. A bold sofa can be a great conversation starter.
- Bookshelves can be more than just a place to store your favorite reads. Creating a “wall of shelves” can actually make the room look larger. Freestanding bookcases can do double duty as a room divider while also providing an interesting architectural accent.
- When it comes to size, mix it up. Be sure to display items that have meaning, framed photographs of loved ones or that treasured item you picked up on your last trip — you want your home to reflect you!
Here are some products that caught our eye at the CB2 store at the new Santa Monica Place:
42-piece fab four green dinner set, $99.85 – This inclusive set contains porcelain dinnerware that is dishwasher and microwave safe, glassware, flatware and four placemats in a neat green sheen.
Coated linen-cotton placemats $4.95 each – These tailored placemats in muted hues are coated on both sides to wipe-clean. (Matching cloth napkins are also available.)
Pillar stemware, $3.95 each – Made from hand-blown glass, the short stems give a modern twist.
Swig mini bar $399 – This bar is so sleek and neatly tucks away wine, liquor and all the accessories that go with them.
Grip bookend $24.95 – Industrial hand-cast iron tool clamps down on desks/shelves to upright books or just be a screwy object on its own.
Club red rug $229 – Up the cool factor in your pad with this graphic red, black and cement rug that’s a replica of the circa 1992 poster promoting Sunday night Latin/African rhythms at London’s Club Red.
Parlor sofa $999 – Hugs away nicely in smaller spaces while still popping in a bright lemongrass color to function as a living room centerpiece.
Taxi pillows $26.95- 34.95 – Capture artistic vignettes that transport the imaginative into another world in the comfort of your home.
Knitted Poufs $79.95 each – These chunky hand-knit poufs add extra seating for entertaining.